It is very important for communication majors to study design for many reasons. By definition communication is the exchange of information between people, by means of speaking, writing, or using a common system of signs or behavior. The message can be spoken or written, the act of communicating is to relay information to others, and it’s a sense of mutual understanding/sympathy. Communication is focused on the main delivery of a particular message to a particular audience. Our job in the communication field is to try and persuade certain individuals to buy a product or inform the public on certain things or just for pure entertainment purposes, commercials are what drag us in to many of the shows we know and love. To get the right message across and to be viewed the correct way every message needs to be thoughtfully designed and laid out. This is why as a communication major it is very important for us to study design.
Every design matters and every little aspect of that design doesn’t go unnoticed. An out of this world design with capture the viewer’s attention and bring you into whatever you made a design for. Every design has a purpose and a message that the designer is trying to get the audience to understand, it’s almost like telling a story and if that story isn’t told the right why no one is going to understand what you are saying. My friend nick has his own tattoo shop and decided to make a website for it, well without fail he managed to make it look awful and not inviting if I wasn’t his friend I wouldn’t of went to him for a tattoo or even though he was a good artist, it was just a plain site without any wow factor. So recently he hired someone who has a design major who could make amazing websites and got across that his shop is the place to go and that he is a spectacular artist. It was an amazing change from what a poorly thought out design and concept became something beautiful. But that goes for anything you’re not going to stay in a hotel if the pictures on their website a dreary and looks awful you want to stay at the hotel that shows views and people having a good time and color.
Commercials are the best kind of communication and design combination out there I feel. The company and the designers want to leave the viewers with a happy feeling after watching the commercial. That also goes for newspaper/magazine articles, billboards, busses, etc. the company wants you coming back for more and will do what they have to make you stay. Anything poorly made will only achieve failure; this is a big deal when it comes to donating money and getting people to volunteer.
I am very excited and intrigued in taking this class this semester. I am hoping to learn a lot of InDesign and working more with Photoshop. My main career goal is to do sports marketing and design commercials, billboards, print ads and all that fun stuff. I love being hands on and actually working on the computers I feel as if it’s a better way to learn your craft.
First off, I absolutely LOVED the design of this blog. I think it really tells a lot about Lauren. I think the colors are complimentary in just the right way, and I love the almost distressed look of the image in the background.
ReplyDeleteWhen reading Lauren's post, the first thing that jumped out to me besides the design, was her opinion of commercials being the most effective was of communication. To be honest, I had not even really thought about commercials as a way of communication and I agree with her. Even if they aren't the best way, they certainly are very successful, especially with our generation. They have a way of capturing your attention with real, in your face visuals.
Also, back to the part of her post about how quickly you can be turned off to a website because of its poor design, or have preconceived notions about the company whose website it is. It really is true, and although it may be judgemental, it really is how we are. Most people I feel are very visual people and like to not only see what you are writing about, but see bright, eye catching visuals that gain your attention.